Thursday, September 9, 2010

Has it really been this long?

DId I really go the whole summer without posting anything? Oh, dear. Where did the time go? Summers always make me think this. I attended more years of school than I care to count, and after all of that schooling, I decided to teach for a living. Go figure. Thus, my life has always moved in the pattern of a school year. For most, renewal happens on January 1st. Good-bye to last year, resolutions for the new...you know what I mean.

For me, September has always been the time for renewal. Put away the beach bag, get out the school bag. Being on hiatus from the classroom has had its privileges. For example, I know the best days to take the kids to the Museum of Science so as to avoid summer/holiday crowds AND field trips! I've also discovered that people do, indeed, get out and about between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. (Silly me! I always used to think that the world came to an abrupt halt between those hours!)

But here we are; it's September again. Being home with the kids has been nice in many ways (incredibly draining in others), but I'm missing that school bell, the PA announcements, the groans when I share tonight's homework assignment or the date the next essay is due. I'm trying to delight in the last bit of time I have left before Ryan starts Kindergarten next year and I cannot take him to the science museum the first day after Spring Break (tip to all the SAHMs out there...one of the least crowded days to go!) Yet there is still that small section of my heart yearning to sign hall passes and find out what the big kids did with their summers.

Happy September!

No comments:

Post a Comment