Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day...and may the blogging begin!

Mother's Day seems like a perfect day to start this project...this attempt to process the adventures and challenges of motherhood.

I've been wanting to do this for a while. I know there are a bajillion "mommy blogs" out there, but I totally understand the need. At the end of the day, my brain feels like a swirling pool of daily drudgery and nuggets of joy; mommy guilt and parental wonder; perfectionistic regrets and hopes to do better tomorrow. At some point, sitting down to let it all drain out my fingertips and onto a keyboard feels like therapy. And where else am I going to get therapy at 11 p.m.?

This is not about drawing followers or scoring freebie product samples. Right now it's purely about the therapeutic value for me and only me. Sure, it might evolve over time and become something vastly different. Most things do. (And, let's be honest. I'm not going to turn down freebie product samples.) Perhaps there will be readers who find me and discover that my experiences resonate. But at the moment, I just need to do this.

So, on this day set aside to recognize and honor all that moms do, I choose to begin. Having kids is easy (well, relatively speaking, but throw in fertility issues and that complicates things). Raising kids is hard. Writing about it helps.

And away we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment